Thursday, September 25, 2008

Snorkeling...

Andy and I finally had a day where we both got off early and decided to go to La Jolla Cove and try snorkeling. We bought the stuff to do it a while ago and I have been slowly getting used the the water and the goggles in the pool (water at the ocean). We walked up to the shore about 4:45 last night looking down and I did not want to get in. The waves looked like they were hitting harder because we were in the cove. The seaweed was all over the place and disgusting. After a while of debating whether or not to get in I decided I would have to face my fear eventually, why not right now?

As I step into the ocean it is freezing!!! (It's always freezing...lol) I had to coax myself into getting in. Andy was so great. He just stood there, holding my hand waiting until I was ready to get in. Slowly but surely I made it in. Now for the googles. Creepy. It just doesn't feel right to have my eyes open under water, not being able to breathe. I decided that I did need the snorkel so we added that to the mixture. At least now I could breathe...not well, but I could breathe. We slowly headed out a little further....then the fish started to appear....

It was INCREDIBLE!!! It was just like in the movies. Watching the seaweed move with the ocean, the fish are just right there. Even though you are just floating on top of the water you feel like you are in the middle of all of it. I had no depth perception at all! I couldn't tell how far away anything was so I just kept reaching for things. Silly me... Then we hit the rocks and there was a huge drop off...It scared the crap out of me so I decided it was time to come back in. It was probably one of the most incredible experiences in my life.

No matter what your fear, if you have a desire to over come it you will do it. :) Of course it will still be just as scary the next time, but I can't wait!!! We are going to take frozen peas and apparently the fish just swarm around you. YAY!!!

2 comments:

Ashley Welling said...

Back in July when I was in San Diego, we went snorkeling in the La Jolla Caves. We needed people to stay behind with the little kids, so me and my mother-in-law took the them to the Zoo. My husband said the water was sooo cold! They loved it. They went kayaking out to the cave and went snorkeling there.

Mindy said...

Oh that sounds like so much fun!! I wish we had fun things like that here.